To include an image or video on the event page, visit the class or event details page within the app where you will see the cover photo panel. In this panel you can upload a cover photo and optionally embed a video to be displayed on the event page. This will enhance the visual appeal of your event, whether seen as a page or embedded card.
Any uploaded photo should have dimensions around 1200 pixels in width and around 600 pixels in height to maintain a nice 2:1 display ratio of a rectangle for best results. Keep the focal point in the center of the image if it matters as it will be displayed inside a bounding box on different screen sizes with the top and bottom of the image clipped as needed.
To set a cover photo:
- Click on the Upload link to upload an image to be used as the cover photo.
- Optionally, you can also click on the Video Overlay link and simply paste in a video embed code from YouTube, Vimeo, UStream, or similar services. You can paste any IFRAME based video embed code, or if you are using YouTube, you can just paste the URL to the video.
A cover photo does not require a video, but a video benefits from also having a cover photo uploaded, which will provide a visual background for the embedded video.
If you change your mind about the cover photo, you may completely Delete it or upload another one to replace it. If you want to remove the Video Overlay, click on it and clear the embed text field, and Save.
How are cover photos displayed?
The cover photos are displayed in a few places and do have a different height dimension depending on the device screen size and such. That is why it is best to upload a photograph that sets the mood of the event and which does not have any text in specific position injected within it. The center of the image is always visible, so you can always make sure that the focal point in the image is very close to its center. Any informational text should be part of the Summary or Description fields of the event and not the event cover photo. A small statement or a few words in the center of the image would work fine if really needed, but text in general on cover photos does not.
These images are rendered within a bounding box that has a specific width and height as a container. Your photo will always be displayed to fill the bounding box completely given its width and height and is centered inside of it. If the image is not wide or tall enough to fit the full width and height of the bounding box, then it gets stretched or clipped, which also causes the width or height to stretch or be clipped to keep its proportion and to fit inside the box. It may even get pixelated when stretched or cuts off even more of the image when one side is way shorter than the other on smaller devices.
Other Image and Video Options
Aside from the option of having a single cover image or video as part of the event page, you can also add multiple images and/or video embeds to the event Full Description area. See how to include an image or video in the event description or refer to the simple guidelines below.
- To add images, you would use Markdown or HTML to link to an image that is already publicly available on the Internet through a third party image hosting service like Dropbox, Cloudup, Google Drive, etc.
- You can also add images in the form of a slideshow or photo gallery to your event page by using a free service like Cloudup.com
- You can embed multiple videos from YouTube or similar video hosting services, using their IFRAME embed codes.